Thursday, December 6, 2012

Last day in Cambodia...

So, my last thoughts on Cambodia.  I spent all day thinking, "noooo, I am so sad to leave this place!"

While I more or less got the tourist blow through, I had an incredible time here.  The life style is very different, but it is the differences that make it enjoyable.

The temples were everything I hoped and more, and thanks to Sothik, I felt like I got a lot out of my time here. Not just with the temples, but having the chance to eat at local markets along the way, and try the food the way they do.  I know for certain that is not something that would have happened had it just been left to me (hello, I ordered a pancake for my breakfast the first day) and while it may seem silly, I look at Sothik as a friend.

;Sothik and I exchanged contact information, and i hope that I can keep in touch with him.  I also hope that he and his family do well in the future.

 Maybe if he ever comes to the States, I can show him around some, as a friend.




 It felt odd giving the two of them the envelopes of money, mostly because it felt odd to have to say goodbye in that sort of fashion, but I was more than happy to pay them for their services.  I'd spent all three days saying 'no' to the people selling tourist goods so that I could give both Mr. Driver and Sothik a decent tip.  It wasn't nearly as much as I would have liked, but I gave what I could.

If you are in Cambodia in the Siem Reap area, and find that you need a tour guide, please contact Sothik.

He was amazing and I promise you you will not be sorry.

Next time, I believe I will do some volunteering here in Cambodia, teaching at the orphanages or the schools.  And trust me, there will be a next time.  There is simply no way I cannot come back.

In fact, if I did not already have commitments in Thailand, I would probably try to stay longer.

Truly, it breaks my heart to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment