Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The monks

So I got up this morning super early, coughing and still half asleep by the time I left to go see the monks collecting food at the local market.  It was a short walk down the soi, then a short distance more down the street until we came upon the market.  The morning felt cool, with the sun just rising as we set off, so it was a nice little walk (at least for me.  I think the others were already over it before we even left.)

We came upon the market and turned down it for a short distance.  I was really interested in looking at the stalls and what the vendors had up for sale, as it was the classic early morning market filled to the top with fresh fruit, fish still wiggling about, meat sizzling on one side and vegetables on the other.  I was super interested, but when I turned to look at my companions I thought that they looked like they felt a little out of place.  We hadn't passed a monk as of yet, which was why we were there, so we turned back around and headed into the middle of the street connecting the markets, where we then stopped and watched a few monks cross the street or collect food, whatever the case may be.

To say that there were significantly fewer monks than we had expected would be an understatement, but it was still neat to see the process with them setting the bowl down, the people bowling and him blessing them.  For those who don't know, monks go around every morning with a giant bowl, in which people donate food to them. They then bless them, I believe, as the people believe they gain merit (karma points, more or less) for assistance to monks.  If it is a woman, the monks are not allowed to directly accept food from her, and they lay the bowl down on the ground, which the woman will then put the food in and such 'the package has been delivered.'  Its really an interesting process for those who have never seen it before.

I also can't get over seeing the monks, who I have always associated with mountain temples or hanging out around waterfalls, in the city, navigating traffic and hailing taxis.  I wonder if they pay for the taxi or not...?

Anyway.  I was down to stay for a while, as I had gotten up for this, but after about five minutes it was super apparent that Victoria and Sara were both over it and ready to go.  Not to say that they didn't enjoy themselves, but I was at least thinking of staying thirty minutes at the minimum.  C'est la vie however.  I'm thankful for the little I did get to see.
Monk crossing the street outside of the market.


Now to go to placement!

No comments:

Post a Comment