Thursday, December 6, 2012

Golden Temple Villa : Cambodia

  So while here in Cambodia, I have been staying at the Golden Temple Villa.  The hostel is off a side street close to the day market, and within reasonable distance of the night market as well.  Once inside the entry way, you are greeted with lots of plant life and statues, with resting areas to your right, and the restaurant to your left, where you can get free water, tea, coffee and bananas, or order from their menu. Everything is reasonably priced, and of good quality.  You can also purchase LARGE bottles of cold water if you like for seventy five cents. You also get free massage for thirty minutes if you like, and an additional 3/hr after that.

The staff, from my experience, are all very friendly and helpful.  They do not push tours on you, so if you would like to arrange for one during your stay, you approach them.  There is a computer room to the right of the desk that has multiple computers for use, all with web cam, head phones, and there is a printer for use as well, though I think that has a small fee.

Upon check in, you are shown to your room.  My room is a small one bedroom with bath, no balcony.  It does have a closet, a tv, and a refrigerator, and a bathroom with toilet, sink, and hot water shower.  Add on air conditioning and fan option,  and really its perfect.  The bathroom is kind of fun as there is zero seperation between the sink, toilet, and shower, so make sure you have anything that could get damaged off the area before showering.  It is a great space saver though, and something that I thought was rather crafty.  They also provide toothbrush and paste, and a small cup waiting for you on the sink.  There is also a small safe in the corner that I made use of.  My bed feels amazing, and considering the price, I am quite happy.  I've stayed at more expensive hotels in the States and have gotten less service and quality for my money, so I really recommend staying here.  Plus, they set me up with a fantastic guide and driver, which really made my stay all the more enjoyable.

Each employee speaks a moderate level of English at the least, though I don't think anyone is fluent, not that that matters, as we are in Cambodia.  The fact that they know any of my language is a huge plus for me and something I am thankful for.

The steps are slightly steep, but I think that is honestly the norm around here.  Each level has a balcony terrace on the side if you wish to sit out there instead of downstairs in the entrance area.  Whereas the entrance has a mixture of hammocks and chairs, there are only chairs for seating on the balconies.

The staff are very friendly from what I have experienced.  Just earlier, in fact, a lady from the hotel surprised me with a cold towel, some tea, and peanuts, saying she noticed I had been sitting here for a while, so she brought me these to enjoy whilst I sit.

Later, I will certainly add a review to trip advisor and hostelworld for this place, but for the time being, I believe I am going to go upstairs, shower, and then go have some dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment