Saturday, December 15, 2012

Culture Shock: I finally get me some o'dat.

So the subject of 'culture shock' has been brought up a couple of times since I've been here, and I've actually spent a while thinking about it, wondering if it was something I've ever experienced myself.

While I've come across things that are different, obviously, there hasn't been anything that's just had me so bowled over that I couldn't believe it.

When I think of culture shock, I think of the people who just can't overcome the differences, or people who get irritated and upset easily at the little things that are different from their normal.

While I didn't experience something that just sent me over the edge today, I certainly experienced something that will make my list of "well that was a whole new case of wtf." Culture shock to me is experiencing something you will never accept about a new country, something you can never make a part of your norm.

Today, I saw this kid, easily 3 or 4, running around the area prior to us boarding the rafts. Upon our arrival, I came across him again as I climbed the hill to return to the top. He smiled at me, then tilted his head back far enough for me to see that what I had mistaken for a lollipop was actually a cigarette.

Me," uh, pretty sure you're not supposed to have that in your mouth--"

And he runs off towards this older man, the guy driving our van for this excursion actually, and instead of pulling it out of his mouth, home boy whips out a lighter and lights it up for the kid. The kid then took a drag, and ran off; a child on a nicotine high.

I couldn't believe I had just seen that.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment