Saturday, December 15, 2012

The River Kwai

So today we spent in Kanchanaburi, an area about two, two and a half hours west of Bangkok.

We came down last night in a private van, owned by Benz's family. The van ride was mostly in silence as each of us drifted off into our own little worlds, be it thoughts, books, music, or some combination of those. I myself listened to my iPod for the first time since I left the states and actually felt kind of peaceful.

We stayed at the River Kwai resort, booked by the lovely Mrs. Jill.


It had a lovely Christmas tree and gingerbread house just inside the entrance.


Jill and Sarah shared a room, while Victoria and I stayed together in the adjoining room.





We had a dinner and show out on this floating dock. The dinner was great; buffet style with all sorts of options. The napkins were mad starched though, which I figured if the dock should sink for whatever reason I could probably throw it in the water and climb on board like a raft or something.

The show was probably one of the weirder things I've ever spent money on. It was basically an reenactment of the story/events of the River Kwai, with the forced labor and revolts of the POWs from WW2. There were a lot of explosions, fireworks and lights, and if you have good eye sight may have been amazing. It was obvious a lot of time and effort went into it. I myself had a hard time fully enjoying it due to the sheer distance we were from the action.

Sleeping was difficult for a little while due to the volume of various events they had going on around the hotel, but I think I was tired enough that it just didn't matter. So now it's been proven, I can sleep through multiple explosions.








- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:กรุงเทพ-นนทบุรี 46,Bang Sue,Thailand

No comments:

Post a Comment