Thursday, December 13, 2012

In which we destroy the Thai Language: It was a group effort

So today was our last language lesson, and our teacher, Pun (Apple) was back to attempt to walk us through.  Even though we did better than last time, I wouldn't go so far as to say we did well.  We were not looking good, as a unit, lol.  But we tried! 

Pun had some really fun ways of going through the words, and taught us a funny dance for basic words used in shopping.  We also covered numbers and I can say that it went as well as it did in English...and Spanish...and Japanese...  Numbers; the bane of my existence.  In some small part I feel like they should stick in SOME language.  The process for their counting makes sense, its not really complicated, but the numbers are still numbers are still numbers are still numbers.  Makes sense? No?

Here, I will translate:  it's never going to work.

After language lessons, we had dinner, then me, Sarah, and Victoria headed to the Big C to do some shopping/exploring while Jill stayed here at the home base.  We wandered back to the cute donut shop, and actually made a couple of return visits, but none of us bought anything.  I think we just have a thing for staring at food?  I don't know, but the women behind the counter seemed anxious for us to make a decision or go.  They were probably just as stressed about having to deal with us ordering as we were about having to make the attempt to order.  Nevertheless, we did end up ordering at a coffee shop a few shops down.  They both got something that was basically ice cream in a cup, and I got a Red Bean Cha Thai Yen.  It was from Black Canyon Coffee and was the closest to heaven i've ever been due to a source of food.

Mmm..What else.  We bought some basic groceries, and I actually bought something there as a present for someone.  It will seem odd when I mail it but I'm hoping they like it, as it's pretty frickin' delicious.  I also bought shampoo, conditioner (both LOREAL), face wash (Nutregina), deoderant (DOVE), and the big ole thing of food to mail off for all under $10.  Yessir. 

Also, it was really funny to me to see all these kpop stars on various things like body spray or chapstick.  Leetuek and Donghae both were calling out to me man.  I almost bought it up.

Tomorrow's plans:  Grand Palace in the morning, then Wat Pho, with lunch out with the staff/volunteers, then taking a van to Kanchanaburi for our weekend trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment