Wednesday, November 28, 2012

It begins!

So, just a few days out and I've been trying to get everything in order...

This includes:
  1. packing
  2. money
  3. whoa, what did I forget
  4. Notebook with all my arrangements
  5. Information on the places i'll be going
  6. Books to read on plane
  7. Journal
  8. sketch book and pens
  9. Language practice
Packing has been interesting as I've decided to try and take everything I need in a single carry on suitcase.
Not necessarily as hard as you  might think, as my placement in Thailand will have a washing machine, which allows me to pack considerably less for my stay.  I could elaborate more on this, but I figured i'd make my packing list and process a whole other post.  You can find that here.

No...No, this post will be more about my (prepare yourself) feelings.  I've been going back and forth from feeling like I've still got a fair amount of time to prepare to feeling like its right around the corner and i'm not even sure what to do with myself.  It's like having so much to do that you just get overwhelmed and end up not doing anything at all, which I might add is basically how I spent the first few days of this week.  Now that i'm four days out however, I've managed to kick it into high gear and get a few things accomplished each day.  

It's odd to have something that you've been preparing for for so long right around the corner.  You go from having more time than you need to get things done to suddenly not having any at all, and realizing how little you actually managed to get done in "all that extra time" is really awe-inspiring in its own little way.

As I mentioned before, i'm both excited, and incredibly nervous when I really think about it.  Not so much nervous about my placement in Thailand, as there i'll be with a group, and surely one or two of them will know what is going on.  There, i'll be in an organized group, with someone in charge, pointing in what direction to go and assigning me a baby to chase after.  In Cambodia however, its all me and my arrangements, all of which I've taken care of prior to leaving of course, however, as anyone who has traveled can tell you, just because you have plans and arrangements does not in any way mean that that is what you will be doing.  Going solo isn't really something that has kept me up late into the night or anything, but i'm not naive enough to think that, although this'll be a grand adventure for sure, it does not come without some risks.

I am all of five foot two (and a half, something I will cling to dearly) and a woman.  While I am not looking for evil-doers around every corner, I am aware that they are out there, and despite my beloved cartoons and fantasy stories, aren't always hunched over with warts on their face and a giant neon flashing sign over them.  It would be handy to have taken more classes on personal protection I think, and might be something to invest in once I get home again.  

Now, logic aside, Woo hoo! I can't freakin' wait!  I've debated going into everything i'll see in Cambodia and Thailand here, but I think i'll break that up into another post.  While in Cambodia, I doubt i'll be online too much as I don't plan on taking my laptop, but I will be packing a personal journal to make updates once i've hit Thailand if nothing else.

Anyway, wary but ready!

Adventure is out there!
Christi


  




No comments:

Post a Comment